Friday, February 8, 2013

Times are Changing!

Hello, all! So my blog has had a very simple, clean theme for some time now.

I'm getting a little tired of it.

As such, it's time to introduce something new! While I didn't make or upload any sketches of this, I've been wanting to revisit an old sci-fi themed ide of mine for some time now, and there really is no time like the present.

What in the heck does that have to do with my theme? Why everything! My new theme will be all space inspired, as space really presents such fascinating and fun color combinations that one is hard pressed to find elsewhere. On top of that, to make my blog really to feel more like it belongs wholly to me, my medium of choice will be pixel art.

On that note, it's hard to portray something as foreign and far off as the far reaches of space without reference, right? Well, I did some searching, and found two wonderful sites for inspiration; the oh so obvious NASA and the very vivid Space Palettes. NASA lets people use their images if credit is given, and I'm pretty sure Space Palettes is the same. (There is no terms of use given, but why post palettes otherwise?)

Here are some images I took from each site that I find particularly fascinating:

NASA:






SP:








A lot of the contrast and vibrancy of these images really seem to call to me, and will be a challenge to replicate in pixel art.

Now, on to my concepts; I was thinking something that clearly showed or centered around my fictional planet Crezoa, the capital planet of a large and powerful empire. Sounds vague, but I kept it vague so that I could play with several possibilities.


This first one shows Crezoa to be sort of upper left to the center of the image, looking moon-shaped to indicate how sharply I would shade it, like the bright blue planet above. This one would be fun because fo the harsh light of the planet's sun. I know that the distance between star and planet or even size comparison are not the least bit realistic, but realism wasn't the intent.

Second concept, I have a centered, silhouetted view of Crezoa, with the glow of stars and distant nebuli providing lively and colorful contrast. I'd have to be very careful with this one, or the planet could be lost.

This one shows a view of some mountains on the planets surface, which would be but black shapes cutting into the starry sky above it. I'm considering adding northern ight, which is what the aimless-looking scribbles in the sky would be.



I forgot to add it, but for this one I was thinking Crezoa could actually be a moon to a larger planet, one similar to our own Saturn. This would crete many possibilities for an interesting skyline in my concepts.

These are just very basic sketches to lay out some possibilities for a future banner.  haven't even thought about background yet, or started to narrow down my colors to a more sensible palette; after all, I have a lot to choose from!

I can't wait to fully start this project, a project that's well and truly my own and for myself; classes are great and all, but I miss making art for it's own sake.

Well, anyway, I suppose that's it for now!

1 comment:

  1. These palettes are beautiful.
    Thanks for posting these and their amazing link!

    ReplyDelete